Fire Alarm Roll Call Emergency Procedures
During a fire alarm roll call. It’s very important that all staff & employees are confident in how to respond to the fire evacuation situation. They should know the planned procedure set out by your company in the event of a fire evacuation. Your planned fire evacuation procedure must cover the following points.
- A procedure for raising the alarm when a fire is discovered
- A procedure for contacting the emergency fire services
- Evacuation procedure for everyone onsite employees/staff/visitor/contractors
- Assembly area a safe distance from any buildings
- Fire evacuation roll call procedure as people arrive at their designated assembly area
- Adequate procedures for safely fighting the fire until the Fire Services arrive
- Presence registration procedures to assist the Fire Services when they arrive
Raising the alarm when a fire is discovered
Fire Alarm Roll Call Systems can be simple or complicated depending on the size of the building/s. The fire alarm activation points should be easily accessible and everyone should be well versed in how to activate them in the event a fire is discovered.
Contacting the emergency fire services
Some fire alarm systems automatically contact the Fire Brigade when they are activated, some do not, either way the Fire Services must be contacted by telephone as quickly as possible. There is usually a designated person to do this, for example the receptionist if you have one. When contacting the fire brigade by telephone give the following information if you are able to.
- The name and address of the building.
- Directions to the building if they ask.
- If known, the type and size of the fire, are there people missing/injured, the type of material that is on fire.
Fire alarm roll call evacuation procedure
When the fire alarm has been activated and is sounding, the evacuation of the building/s can be started according to the procedure you have set out.